Brett McGrath is a Partner in the Firm's Hartford, Connecticut office and the Partner-in-Charge of the Connecticut Tax Department managing Hartford, New Haven and Greenwich. As a member of the Firm's National Construction Industry group and its State and Local Tax Practice group, Mr. McGrath has more than 20 years of experience providing federal and state tax consulting and compliance services to corporations, partnerships and individual clients.
Mr. McGrath has extensive experience working with construction contractors, developers and homebuilders; manufacturers; service corporations; and sports and entertainment professionals. He provides tax accounting for long-term contracts, accounting methods and look-back filings. Mr. McGrath's corporate and individual tax experience includes multinational tax and state tax compliance research and planning.
Mr. McGrath shares his tax accounting knowledge with industry and professional organizations. He is a frequent speaker on tax matters for construction companies.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. McGrath spent several years at a "Big 4" accounting firm. Earlier in his career, he was a Corporate Tax Specialist at a multi-national manufacturing company.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- The Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants (CTCPA)
- Cedar Hill Cemetery & Foundation, Board of Directors
- Walter Camp Foundation
- Comprehensive Repair & Cost Capitalization Regulations, National AICPA Construction Conference, 2012
- Tax Panel, AICPA National Construction Industry Conference, 2012
- Fundamentals of Construction Taxation, National AICPA Construction Conference, 2010
- Fundamentals of Construction Taxation, National AICPA Construction Conference, 2009
- Long-Term Construction Contract Accounting: A Tax Strategies Checklist, Journal of Construction Accounting and Taxation, March/April 2006
- Fundamentals of Construction Accounting, National AICPA Construction Conference, 2008
- Tax Accounting Methods and Their Impact on Deferred Income Taxes under FAS 109, National Association of Independent Sureties, 2007
- Construction Accounting, CSCPA, 1998-2006
- Advanced Tax Issues, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants Annual Construction Industry Conference, 2005
Masters of Science, Taxation
Bachelor of Science, Accounting
University of Massachusetts
February 27, 2017
Tax Partners Diane Giordano and Brett McGrath co-authored an article for the Hartford Business Journal, about how start-up companies can benefit from the new Research & Development Credit Payroll Tax Offset.
The new payroll tax offset, effective as of 2016, allows companies to receive a benefit for research activities regardless of profitability.
Tax season is always hectic for accounting firms — which for years have called in temporary reinforcements, from college interns to experienced freelance tax professionals ....
Just as we should all be going to our family doctors as we get older to make sure we are healthy and in good physical ....
June 16, 2014
Article by Brett McGrath, Partner, Tax & Business Services and John Vozzo, Director, Tax and Business Services, "Use R&D Credits to Let the IRS Pay Your Taxes," Featured in The Hartford Business Journal.
The federal Research and Development Tax Credit is an incentive program providing taxpayers a dollar-for-dollar reduction of their tax liability; in effect, the Internal Revenue ....
September 09, 2013
Marcum LLP Names Brett McGrath Connecticut Tax Partner-in-Charge
Marcum LLP has named Timothy R. Larson as partner-in-charge (PIC) of the firm’s New York Tax Department and Brett McGrath partner-in-charge (PIC) of the firm’s ....
Q&A talks about the impending tax season with Brett McGrath, a tax partner in the Hartford office of Marcum Accountants and Advisors.